Thursday, August 19, 2010

Two New Sidekicks

"Teacha, teacha", a small hand crept into mine and a huge smile showing small white teeth appeared the instant the words were spoken. A grin and a giggle will follow if you smile back. This student is in preschool, and I think the word "teacha" may be one of the few that he knows in English. He tagged along today as I walked around campus after my first full week at KEMPS, content to chatter away at me in Kihaya, and maybe a little bit of Kiswahili. His twin sister was his mirror, holding my other hand, although her chatter was more in English.

It is a tribute to their comfort level with me, and to mine at the school that I had these two sidekicks this afternoon. A closed door is not enough to keep them away. All evening, until dinner, and even a bit after, the door would open, a head would peer around and voice would say "Teacher". Although I am flattered, I realize that boundaries must be set, and opening my front door without knocking was one of them. I got down onto one knee so that we were eye to eye. Very slowly, in English, I said that they were not allowed to open the door, and that they needed to knock, wrapping my knuckles on the door to demonstrate. Although I wasn't sure that they understood, I said goodnight and that I would see them tomorrow, and closed the door (for the 6th time). I think it is time to come up with a good signal to use for when students are allowed to knock. While in the midst of this thought, there was a wrap at the door and two heads appeared. Half exasperated, I got up again to go close the door. But before I got there, they said "Goodnight teacher! See you tomorrow!", finishing the phrase with smiles, and closed the door. Although it is clear I need a sign of some sort for when students can come visit me, and although they still opened the door without permission, at least they had learned to knock. I took pleasure in this small triumph and sat back down on my couch.
Hanging out with students on my front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment