Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hot Water and a Thoughtful Student

I managed to get hot water! I braved the initial orange water in the shower and it did eventually run clear. When water is running through the shower, it means that there was enough water to fill the water heater tank, thus meaning it is safe to turn on the heater - after half an hour I did manage to get hot water! Despite this excitement, I was unable to take a shower this evening; I was so excited to not have to boil water, but the water pressure wasn't strong enough even though the water was hot. I have yet to take an actual shower in this house. When that day comes, it will be monumental!


One other touching thing happened today. One of the students knocked on my door after school and said very quietly but it quite good English that I had asked him if he knew of any books that could help me learn Swahili, and that he had, in his possession, a book that had both English and Swahili in it. Although our previous conversation had taken place while I was sitting outside trying to learn Swahili and looking at a book (I did not ask for one), I was surprised and touched by his thoughtfulness and willingness to lend me one of his books. These children really are special. He is in Standard 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment