Friday, April 6, 2012

Cheese-making

For 2 months now, there has been no cheese in Bukoba.  The woman at the dairy has come to recognize me and as I enter the door, she shakes her head and says "wiki ijayo" or "next week".  This ritual is repeated almost every week, and there has yet to be any cheese.  With a craving for cheese, I decided in the past 2 weeks to try to make my own soft cheese.  Attempt number 1 yielded a frightfully smelly mess, a soupy mixture with a bitter flavor that no amount of herbs could hide.  However, before giving up for good, I decided to give it one last try. 

I placed the milk in a plastic pitcher for 2 days to separate and get lumpy.  This mixture was drained through a piece of blue and white floral kanga in a sieve.  I watched as the clear yellow whey drained slowly through the cloth into the container below.  Just for good measure, I left the curds to drain in the fridge overnight, and the following morning I had a cloth full of goat cheese like curds in my cloth.  Flipping them out into a bowl, I realized that this was a very unique cheese, for, I had unknowingly imprinted blue flowers on the bottom of my curds.  It is slightly ironic that I picked the white and blue kanga because I thought a blue dye less likely to run that a red or pink fabric.  Despite the fact that my cheese was blue, and after adding some margarine, garlic, chives, and dill, I had a fairly tasty cheese spread that is perfect for toast.  Hopefully it will tide me over until Bukoba's only cheese - gouda - returns again.

The cheese curds after draining - notice the tasteful and
artistically placed flowers...

No comments:

Post a Comment