Monday, August 20, 2012

Climbing Kili for KEMPS


The last post on this blog showed the latest progress on the bath house for the boys' dormitory at KEMPS.  As many of you have commented, it has been a long time since I have posted anything new.  Unfortunately, the bath house is in the same state as my blog.  No further progress has been made to complete the bath house and toilets as there are no more funds for construction.

Thanks to many of you, this will soon change.  Last week, I spent 8 days climbing Kilimanjaro, and many of you who love KEMPS as much as I do sponsored me a penny a meter climbed ($58), in order to help complete this project.  Thank you!  You will be pleased to know that on the 13th of August at 6:30am, I reached Uhuru (meaning "freedom") peak of Mount Kilimanjaro at 5895m.  After six and a half hours of bone-wearying trudging through the cold night, watching the sunrise from this monumental peak was breath-taking.

Over the next couple of days, I hope to post pictures to share my favorite parts of the climb, so stay tuned!  If you were waiting to see if I would really make it to the top before sending your own donation, see the picture below as proof!  Donations of any amount are welcome until September 30th, 2012.  Please make them out to St. Luke's Lutheran Church, 308 W 46th Street, New York, NY 10036 with the designation "Steph's Kilimanjaro Climb".  

Thank you again to all who have supported my climb with your thoughts and prayers, and the boys I teach with your generous donations.  


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Stephanie! What a wonderful experience! We'll make a donation for the boys' bathrooms in your honor! Blessings! Carol Fryer

    ReplyDelete