Monday, August 29, 2011

Going Green

Since returning to Kemps in July, I have grown green fingers and begun planting a garden.  Teachers and pupils are astonished that I know how to use a hoe and that I would want to get my hands dirty if I didn't have to.  But they are excited to see things grow and the pupils particularly have started to help me plant seeds. Once or twice their enthusiasm to help resulted in the drowning of the seedlings - but they are learning! 

A small patch on one sunny side of my house, my garden currently includes, lettuce, eggplant, nyanya mshumaa, green pepper, mchiche (spinach), one zucchini plant and hopefully some green beans and peas if my seeds grow.  So far, I have harvested 6 eggplants, lettuce, one lovely looking pepper and many nyanya mshumaa (these are mini green eggplants - I don't know what they are called in English!).  Although a New Yorker who has never grown vegetables before, I must confess that there is nothing quite so satisfying as eating vegetables that you have grown yourself.

Nyanya mshumaa ready for harvesting.
Ma Esther, an older woman who helps around the house twice a week, has noticed my interest in gardening.  As we were watering some newly planted seeds Thursday, she announced that she thought I should dig up the patch of ground on the other side and the back of my house, and that she would help me plant beans and potatoes.  A very talkative woman, she then proceeded to tell me about past gardens at KEMPS by various teachers and many other related stories that got lost as I tried to understand her rapid Kiswahili.



Since I have begun planting, other teachers have also renewed their interest in gardening.  Sister Fraisca and I enjoying walking to examine each other's gardens, and she even has a lettuce plant of mine.  Teacher Joyce has also started a very large garden and is the source of my zucchini plant, and 3 tomato plants if the cuttings take root.  She even has strawberries.  Just thinking about them makes my mouth water!   Gardening has become a communal interest.

Along with the gardening have come some culinary adventures.  Sweet potato and onion quiche, fajitas with homemade tortillas, guacamole and mango salsa, lemon cake with lemon glaze, dahl and saag aloo, and pineapple upside down cake.  Yes, life in Tanzania is hard! 

Sitting down to a decadent meal of fajitas after a long afternoon walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment